Middleton High School, located in Middleton, Tennessee, in the southern portion of Hardeman County,
services 602 students in grades seven through twelve from the Middleton, Saulsbury, Grand Junction,
and Pocahontas communities.
 
The first school building, a 20 x 20 foot one room log building, was erected in the Middleton area in 1873.  By 1880, a three-room frame building was built on the present site of Middleton High School.  This building was replaced with a brick one in 1924.  It was at this time that the school reached a four-year school rating.  At this time the school had a janitor to clean the rooms, take care of the campus and keep fire in the furnace.  This building was destroyed by fire in the winter of 1925.  Until a new building was constructed in the spring of 1926 cleasses were held in churches and store buildings of the town.
 
The first documented enrollment was in 1919-1920 when there were 23 students.  Between 1929 and 1940 several schools consolidated with Middleton.  These schools were Center Star, Cole's Academy, Crystal Springs, Greenwood, Roger Springs, Mills School, Sandy Springs, White House, Lacy Ebenezer, Powell's Chapel and Hudson School.  As these consolidations were made, buses were brought into service to transport the students.  By 1940 the enrollment was 575.
 
In 1932-33 a brick gymnasium was erected.  In 1937-39 a wing of six classrooms was added to the west side of the main building.  Five additional acres of ground adjoining the three acres of the campus were purchased for playground use. 
 
Middleton High School was granted membership in the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools in 1935.  this was a tremendous step for the school and community.  The spirit of cooperation between students, parents and teachers was great.
 
By 1940, with an enrollment of 575, 25 teachers, and 7 buses and 4 wagons to transport students, the building consisted of 20 rooms, a gymnasium in which the home economics and agriculture departments were housed, was the entire school plant.  In 1964 a new wing was erected which almost doubled the classroom space. 
 
By the 1940-41 school year it was necessary to rent space for a lunchroom.  The PTA rented a five-room house adjacent to the campus in which approximately 400 children were served a hot lunch daily.  In 1953-54 a new cafeteria was built with all new and modern equipment.  The cafeteria was enlarged in 1975-76 to accommodate the increase in enrollment and served the new elementary school as well as the  high school until 1985-86 when the elementary school opened its own cafeteria.
 
More consolidations took place in the late 1960s and early 1970s with Pocahontas grades 1-6 in the 1968-69 school year, Middleton Southside in 1969-70, and Grand Junction High School grades 9-12 in 1971-72.  The first year for Kindergarten was in 1970-71.  With these increases in enrollment, the student body hit a high of 1006 students in the 1972-73 school year.  The following year, Middleton Elementary School opened leaving grades 7-12 at Middleton High School.  The enrollment in 1973-74 was 561. 
 
A new gymnasium was added in 1970 with the official opening and dedication held just before the first ballgame of the 1970-71 season.  The 1955 championship basketball team and Coach J.C. Maloney were honored guests at this ceremony.   This group was invited due to the fact that this new gymnasium was given the name "The Bailey Howell Gymnasium" in honor of their teammate, this outstanding athlete set records in all categories of the game and was at that time a member of the Philadelphia 76'ers professional basketball team.  He had previously played for the Detroit Pistons, Baltimore Bullets, and Boston Celtics.  He is considered one of the NBA's all-time greats.  After college, two other young men have gone on to play professional sports from Middleton High School.  Wayne Haddix played professional football and Stevie Hamer professional basketball.
 
The part of the building that had been constructed in 1926 was so dilapidated that it was torn down and replaced during the 1979-80 school year.  The old part of the facility was replaced with a new bandroom, eight classrooms, a study hall and ample office space.  Classes were held in this facility beginning with the 1980-81 school year.  A new vocational building was also erected during this time with classes first being held in this building during the spring of 1981.  The most recent addition is the middle school building which was completed and opened in the fall of 1999.  At this time the cafeteria was enlarged and remodeled.